Thursday, July 26, 2012

A Toot My Own Horn Opportunity

Me and my exhibit at the MN Stamp Expo
Previously I posted information about my "America's Public Libraries and Their Forerunners 1731-1956" philatelic exhibit and the awards it received at the Rocky Mountain Stamp Show in Denver in May. This past weekend the exhibit was on display at the Minnesota Stamp Expo in Minneapolis. At that show, in addition to receiving a gold medal, it received the Reserve Grand Award. That award is given to the second best multi-frame exhibit at the show. It is the highest honor that any of my philatelic exhibits has ever received. It is notable in that my exhibit is classified as a "Display" exhibit meaning that it includes non-postal as well as postal items. The highest awards for exhibits almost always go to more traditional philatelic exhibits. For instance, the Grand Award (for the best multi-frame exhibit) at the stamp show went to an exhibit titled "Sweden - The Medallion Series 1910-1919" (well deserved I might add). Although it is great to be rewarded with awards, it was also extremely satisfying to receive positive feedback from attendees at the stamp show. Philatelic exhibiting about the history of libraries is one way that I promote library history to a broader audience.

No comments: