Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Library Postcard Humor

As I have mentioned previously on this blog, library postcards are one of my collecting interests. Because there are thousands of library postcards that depict libraries, I confine myself to a limited number of categories of these cards. I'm always on the outlook, however, for the unusual or different library postcard. I think the postcard featured in this post certainly fits into that category. The postcard depicts a rather austere lady asking the male library clerk, "Have you the book entitled 'Battles I have been in?'" He replies, "No, m'am; but I can give you 'Memories of a Married Man.'" Apart from the marriage humor, the card also has some historical aspects.  The sign which reads "Join Our Circulating Library" is an indication that this is a subscription or a "for profit" library. The books are also behind the counter indicating closed stacks, a very common practice among all libraries in the 19th and early 20th century. The postcard was published by Bamforth & Co. Ltd of Holmfirth, England which started publishing postcards in 1910.

No comments: