Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Special Libraries Assoc. 100 in 2009

The Special Libraries Association will celebrate its centennial in 2009. Any anniversary provides an opportunity for a library or library organization to promote itself and to focus on its heritage, but a centennial provides a significant opportunity. I think SLA has done an excellent job of preparing for its centennial celebration. It recently launched a centennial website which includes a variety of activities planned for the celebration as well as information on its history. Of particular interest to me is the availability of a postage stamp to celebrate the centennial.
The program above for the 36th annual conference of SLA which took place in 1944 in Philadelphia is part of my librariana collection. The theme for the conference was "In Time of War, Prepare for Peace".
While working on my library degree at the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana I worked in the Ricker Library of Art and Architecture which provided me with an appreciation of the work of the special librarian.
On the Library History Buff website I have some tips on celebrating anniversaries.

No comments: